Photo: Volunteers hand out food in Philippines. Read more about work there below....Photo courtesy, umcor.org.
* TEAM LEADER TRAINING IN THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST CONFERENCE
The UMVIM Leadership Team will be conducting two Volunteer In Mission Team Leader Trainings on December 5, 2009 at First UMC of Olympia. Topics to be discussed will be the UM Connection, insurance, safe sanctuary requirements and background checks.1) TEAM LEADER TRAINING for National/International Mission10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.Fees: $20 for the manual
2) TEAM LEADER TRAINING for Conference Projects10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.Fees: none First UMC of Olympia1224 Legion Way SEOlympia, WA 98501-1655(360) 943-2661 If you are interested in registering for either class,e-mail Ronda Cordill, firstname.lastname@example.org call (509) 235-5466.
* FUTURE TEAMS TO GUATAMALA, ANGOLA, LOUISINA, SIERRA LEONE, KENYA, CAMBODIA & HELPFUL WEBSITES FOR VOLUNTEERS
1) Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana - Summer, 2010 (1 week trips during June 6 - July 25) - ongoing reconstruction of homes devastated by hurricanes. Registration deadline March 15, 2010. Cost is $225 per participant, which includes lodging, meals, construction materials and evening activities. Contact Laurie Byland, 225-383-4777, X235; email@example.com, www.thebluetarp.com.
2) Angola, October 2010, MALARIA NET DISTRIBUTION - a fund of $120,000 was collected for the "Nothing But Nets" program in honor of our previous Bishop, Warner Brown. We are beginning to recruit a team of 8-10 people for the distribution of these malaria nets in Angola. The distribution plan will be coordinated by UMCOR in Angola. We would like to have a representative group of health care workers, pastors and lay persons. Contact Burl Kreps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 719-637-0258, 719-337-3066(cell).
3) Guatemala, March 19-28, 2010. Serve with the indigenous Mayan people in the mountains of Guatemala. Build adobe homes for widows, construct chicken coops, play with children, visit the John Wesley School. Contact Laura Richards, email@example.com, St. Luke's UMC, Highlands Ranch, CO.4) UMVIM team leader training, Saturday, December 12, 9 am to Noon, St. Luke's UMC, 8817 S. Broadway, Highlands Ranch, CO. Please contact Betsy Keyack, firstname.lastname@example.org to register. Team leader training also offered on request.
5) Please see the following web sites for more information about UMVIM:
a) www.umvim.info - contains listings of all the UMVIM projects in the USA and around the world as well as information about long term opportunities for individual volunteers.
b) www.umvimwj.blogspot.com - has information about volunteer needs in the western US and teams you can join.
c) www.rmcvim.org - has information about Rocky Mountain Conference teams you can join, going to Guatemala (2010), Sierra Leone (2010), Kenya (2010 and 2011), Cambodia (2011), and India (2011).
d) www.umvim4health.blogspot.com - this is a great web site for health care volunteer opportunities.
* UMCOR WORK IN PHILIPPINES CONTINUES
Philippines continues to comb through remote areas to provide relief supplies to those in need following the devastating Typhoon Ketsana and Parma, which struck the country in September and October.
It took UMCOR Philippines staff and volunteers six hours on a boat to travel to one affected area to assess damages. In one area, on the coastal area of Talim Island, most of the homes and structures were completely destroyed. Three United Methodist churches were damaged and two of the churches remain under water. UMCOR Philippines is working with district leadership to respond to the needs of the church and affected communities.
In addition, about 1,500 food items have been purchased and repackaged by local churches and volunteers assisting UMCOR Philippines. Trained by UMCOR and student council members of the Angono Rizal System University, volunteers prepare water purifiers daily to include in the distribution to displaced families, as health and sanitation is a major concern.
Support the ongoing relief efforts in the Philippines with your gifts to Philippines Emergency, UMCOR Advance #240235.