THE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH RESPONDS TO HAITI EVENT<
Time: June 22, 2010 from 7pm to 9pm
Location: San Ramon Valley United Methodist Church
Organized By: Philip Bandy
Program is open to the public and specifically highlights the current and future volunteer response teams from the Methodist church headed to Haiti. Phil Bandy, Director of Volunteers in Mission, reports on his recent trip to Haiti, presents a briefing to the next wave of teams going to Haiti, and provides a venue for the public to learn about these important relief programs. All individuals who have already signed up as volunteers to serve in Haiti and anyone interested in what is happening in Haiti are invited to attend. Team leaders for teams headed to Haiti are also present to accept volunteers to their teams and provide additional information.
If you have signed up to go to Haiti on the September team, please be here for this event; the first orientation session. Everyone is invited to stay through this part of the program and hear all the details as this team prepares to go to Haiti.
See more details and RSVP on UMC California Volunteers:
UMVIM NEWS FROM THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN CONFERENCE
1) UMVIM Team Leader Training - for those who would like to lead a mission team or learn more about Volunteers in Mission. Wednesday, June 16, 1:30 - 4:30 pm, Hope UMC, Englewood, CO. To register contact Betsy Keyack, email@example.com. This would be a good opportunity for those coming to Annual Conference early.
2) MEXICO - Volunteer teams are needed in San Luis Rio Colorado to replace a roof destroyed due to a recent earthquake. Details are still being worked out. Contact Betsy Keyack for more information.
3) HAITI - A Conference team led by Rev. Jon Laughlin recently returned from Haiti. They worked along-side Haitian people on construction projects and delivered supplies. The weather was hot and the scene was emotionally difficult but the team felt they made a difference. Jon has room on a team leaving October 30, 2010 and has tentative plans for a team in February 2011. Contact Jon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4) GUATEMALA - Hurricane Agatha recently caused devastating mudslides in some of our UMVIM destination villages. In addition to significant loss of houses and crops, 109 have been killed and 27, 560 people have been affected. Stay tuned for more information about future mission volunteer needs. To view regular updates go to http://puravidaguatemala.wordpress.com/
5) LAITY WORKSHOP - if you are attending Annual Conference, we invite you to attend the Laity Workshop on UMVIM, the ADVANCE and Missionary Covenant Relationships on Friday June 18 from 3:30 - 5:00 pm in the Longs Peak Room.
6) WARREN VILLAGE needs adult volunteers to help supervise field trips for children on July 2 and 30 and August 13. Call Sarah at 303-320-5032. Blessings,Betsy Keyack (email@example.com) and Ann Fort (firstname.lastname@example.org)Co-coordinators, UM Volunteers in Mission, Rocky Mountain Conference.
FUTURE TEAMS & PRAYERS REQUESTS
Individual Volunteer to Hope School – Bethlehem, Palestine: March through June
Yvonne Turner of Grass Valley - Sierra Pines UMC will be serving as a teacher at the Hope School in Ramallah, Palestine.
First UMC of Lodi Team to Kings Beach, CA: May 30 – June 5
Kathy Baldauf will lead the first UMVIM team from the Cal-Nev Conference to Kings Beach, CA. Serving with her are Henry Geiszler, James Schultz, Phyllis Geiszler, Bill Davidson, George Bonadurer, Carol Bonadurer, Jim Naylor and Dolly Naylor of Lodi - First UMC.
First UMC of Santa Rosa to Nikiski, Alaska: June 1 - 13
Cassandra Lawrence leads and serves with Melissa Perry, Joseph Major, Jacob Wilbur, Travis LaBrucherie and Alicia De Toffoli of Santa Rosa - First UMC.
Rancho Cordova UMC Team to SLC, Utah UMCOR Supply Depot: June 12 - 19
Alice Haas of Rancho Cordova UMC leads a kit building team to the UMCOR Supply Depot. Serving with her are RaeAnn Travis, Florence E. Harmor, Thelma Coppin, Marolyn Tullis, Fay Kerekes, Carol Good and Susan Walker.
Multi-Church Team to Slidell, Louisiana: June 19 - 25
Viki Inouye leads and serves with Daniel Ishida, Alex Iwagaki, Jordan Jones, Connor Longmire, Courtney Nakashima, Kyle Nakashima, Ryan Osada, Justine Urauchi, Stacey Urauchi, Mari Yanai, Keith Inouye, Shelley Nakashima and Kristin Yasukawa of San Jose - Wesley UMC , Mason Matsubara, Andrea Wong, Brett Wong, Natalie Wong and Laurie Wong of Clovis - United Japanese Christian Church.
San Ramon Valley UMC Youth Team to Mexico: June 19 - 26
Michael Stephenson of Alamo – San Ramon Valley UMC leads a youth team to Mexico. A list of volunteers was not available at the time of posting.
Japanese UMC - Sacramento Team to New Orleans, Lousiana: June 20 - 26
Motoe Yamada leads a youth team to Louisiana to continue hurricane recovery work. She serves with Shelli, Kashiwagi, Kevin Kato, Katie Nakashima, Austin Takechi, Mitchell Takechi, Sue Teranishi, Bret Williamson, Carol Williamson, James Williamson and Krista Williamson of Sacramento - Japanese UMC.